Purchasing Fire Extinguishers can be a very confusing task. With many types of extinguishers available, an individual can quickly become overwhelmed by the choices. However, this does not have to be the case.
Fire extinguishers are classified by type, so not every extinguisher will be the right choice for use in a building. For example, a fire extinguisher that will put out most fires, including those resulting from electrical fires, typically won’t be the appropriate choice for a fire caused by cooking fats and oils. Knowing the various types can mean the difference between life and death or minimal property damage and complete loss of a structure.
Different Types of Fire Extinguishers
- Powder ABE fire extinguishers are appropriate for wood, plastic and paper fires, along with those caused by flammable gasses and flammable or combustible liquids. They may also be used for energised electrical equipment, but aren’t appropriate for cooking oil and fat fires.
- Carbon dioxide models may be used for energised electrical equipment fires and, in limited situations, for flammable and combustible liquid fires or those caused by wood, paper, and plastic. They are the best solution for electrical fires as they do less harm to components and have little to no clean up.
- Water fire extinguishers are only appropriate for plastic, paper and wood fires and their limitations do not make them a common extinguisher of choice.
- Devices which use foam to extinguish a fire are good for combustible and flammable liquid, paper, wood and plastic fires. They should not be used on any fire involving energised electrical equipment.
- Wet chemical extinguishers are the most appropriate extinguisher for commercial kitchens and are specifically designed for use on cooking oil and fat fires.
Australian Standards for Fire Extinguishers
In Brisbane, Fire Extinguishers are essential in every Commercial Building. With the help of an extinguisher maintained to Australian standards for Fire Protection, people trained in the use of fire extinguishers can significantly reduce the chance of the fire increasing.
Here at FCF Fire & Electrical Brisbane North we have the expertise and knowledge to help you with the supply, maintenance, and servicing of Fire Extinguishers and other Fire Protective Equipment. So contact us today for a friendly, professional service at highly competitive rates.
*Disclaimer: This article is a guide only. Specific Fire Safety Techniques may vary depending on your equipment and circumstances. Contact us today for Professional Advice.