For fire safety compliance commercial builders or site supervisors need to ensure that necessary fire precautions are installed in the building while under construction. In commercial construction fire safety appropriate fire-fighting equipment must be installed and available, among those equipment is a dry chemical fire extinguisher. A Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher is the most common type used in Australia. Fire extinguishers are a crucial preventive measure for fire emergencies. They are able to help reduce the risk of damage, injury or even death in the tragic event of a fire.
What is a dry chemical fire extinguisher?
It is also known as a DCP, BE, or ABE fire extinguisher. Dry Chemical fire extinguishers extinguish the fire primarily by interrupting the chemical reaction of the fire triangle. The idea behind a dry chemical fire extinguisher is to blanket the fuel with an inert solid (similar to dirt or sand). A dry chemical extinguisher sprays a very fine powder of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3, baking soda), potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3, nearly identical to baking soda), or monoammonium phosphate ((NH4)H2PO4). These solids coat the fuel and smother the fire.
How Does a Dry Chemical Extinguisher Work?
Each kind of extinguisher functions by attempting to remove one of the components that are needed for a fire to flourish. Most ABE extinguishers are loaded with monoammonium phosphate which has the capability to flow easily and melt so it continues to cover the flames as it moves over the fire.
What Types of Fire Does a Dry Chemical Extinguisher Work For?
When you are trying to put out a fire, it is essential to use the right extinguisher for the job. The dry chemical fire extinguishers can put out fires caused by oil, textiles, paper, liquid, and electrical issues. This is the perfect fire extinguisher to have on hand to take care of a variety of fires in construction sites safely and efficiently. There are two main types of Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher models:
- ABE Type manages classes A, B, and E. This particular rating of fire extinguisher guarantees an assortment of fires can be put out including, wood, paper, cardboard, people, flammable liquids, petrol, and diesel.
- BE Type manages fire classes B, E, and F and fights flammable liquids, diesel, petrol, office equipment, electrical, and cooking oil fires.
What are the Benefits of Using Dry Chemical Extinguishers?
- They are powerful and function to fairly quickly extinguish fires
- They are versatile and may be utilized on many kinds of fires
- They are compact and lightweight and don’t take up a great deal of space
- They are more affordable compared to several kinds of extinguishers
- They are safer compared to several types and may be utilized on electric fires
Dry chemical fire extinguisher is the ideal choice for commercial builders, offices and a variety of businesses. It is important that everyone in the construction site knows where the fire extinguisher is located and how to identify the dry chemical fire extinguisher colour band so they will know when the extinguisher should be used for a fire. These tanks are generally red in color and feature a white band around the tank.
To protect lives and property portable fire extinguishers are required, should a fire break out in the construction site. Individuals who have a complete knowledge of how these extinguishers work will be more successful in using them appropriately.